Looking for a new yoga mat? Yoga mats can be very different so find out which is the right one for you. At Decathlon, we have an extensive range of yoga mats that highlight varying characteristics: thickness, material, weight and more! Whatever it is, this guide will run you through some important considerations that will help you select the perfect yoga mat.
Important Considerations Before Purchasing a Yoga Mat
- The thickness of your yoga mat determines the comfort of your practice. If the mat is too thin your joints might really feel it. Pain in the knees or wrists might distract you from the practice. If the mat is too thick, you can't feel a strong connection to the floor, which could compromise on the stability of your balance poses.
- The material of your yoga mat dictates its texture, grip, and weight. Weight is a factor to consider if you carry your mat around often.
Dynamic yoga is more fast-paced, and examples of such practices include Ashtanga Yoga, Iyengar Yoga, Vinyasa Yoga, and Hot Yoga. The focus for these types of yoga is to have more stability and grip, as many standing and balancing postures are practiced.
For dynamic yoga:
- You should opt for a mat that has a thickness between 3 - 5 mm. A mat that is too thick will make balancing work more difficult.
- You'll need a mat with good grip as well, to prevent slipping between postures. Good adhesion is essential.
- A sticky yoga mat keeps you from sliding all over the place and helps you maintain your alignment as you move from one pose to another, as well as when you hold poses for several seconds
Examples of gentle yoga include Hatha Yoga, Yin Yoga, Prenatal Yoga, Restorative Yoga, and Nidra Yoga. Gentle yoga focuses on comfort above all else, while will allow you to focus on relaxation of the body and mind. A thicker yoga mat would be recommended.
For Gentle Yoga:
- A mat between 5 mm and 8 mm helps limit the impact between your body and the ground and thus protects your back and your joints.
- Thickness is especially important when you practice yoga or are required to hold postures longer.
- For a lightweight option, consider the Club Gentle Yoga Mat (5mm), as it's made from TPE (thermoplastic elastomers) that gives a nice foamy texture while still being easy to carry around. This material boasts a closed-cell foam made under high temperature, which makes it anti-microbial and easy to clean. This mat is also eco-friendly with non-PVC, non-toxic, non-heavy-metals and non-irritating odor features.
Travel yoga mats in our range are 1.5mm thick; they fold easily into a square, making them a cinch to fit in a suitcase. Alternatively, you might want to consider bringing a Yoga Towel instead. These towels are lightweight and you are able to wash them in your washing machine! :
Additional Yoga Accessories
For particularly hot practices such as hot yoga, it is advisable to use yoga towels. The microfiber material on the top to absorb your sweat while you practice!
For those who have weak or painful knees, you might want to consider our yoga pad, which provides cushioning while doing certain poses such as crescent lunges. Just slip them under during transitions for a much enjoyable practice!
Lastly, don't leave home without a Decathlon yoga mat bag! Grab a bag with your towel and bottle and head off to your class today!