Have you been thinking about trying weight training but don't know where to start? In this article, we'll show you the basic movements for starting weight training as a beginner.
• How-to: Hands shoulder-width apart. Raise up to bring your chin to the bar. Pull your elbows back. Stretch your shoulder blades at the bottom.
• Muscle activation: Feel your shoulder blades stretch at the bottom. Squeeze your lats at the top.
• Sets and repetitions: 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
• How-to: Chest upright, looking straight ahead, glutes pushed back. Squeeze your traps at the bottom.
• Muscle activation: Lower back and leg pump. Feel the burn in your glutes and hamstrings.
• Sets and repetitions: 3 sets of 12 reps.
• How-to: Hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Open your elbows on the way down. Stick out your chest.
• Muscle activation: Muscle burn in the mid and lower pecs, front of the shoulders and triceps.
• Sets and repetitions: 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
• How-to: Look straight ahead. Feet shoulder-width apart, toes pointed out. Start the lift by pushing your glutes back. Keep your chest straight. Squat until your thigh goes past your knee. Let your knees go forward on the way down.
• Muscle activation: Intensive stretch of the glutes and hamstrings at the bottom. Feel the burn at the quadriceps. Your breathing should quicken as the set progresses.
• Sets and repetitions: 3 sets of 20 reps.