At Decathlon, we are committed to
Our purpose: to make sports and the outdoors more accessible to everybody, while protecting our planet.
How are we doing? Every day we are working to be more sustainable. From creating eco-friendly products to decreasing - and eliminating when possible - packing materials, we're working to reduce our global footprint across all our channels - in our products, operations, stores and production.
Learn more about our global sustainability commitments:
Paper and Packaging
- We encourage digital receipts and cashless transactions.
- Over 75.2 million tons of trash are generated in the US by packaging every year. Decathlon USA therefore strives to use as little packaging as possible; for example, none of our shoes come in boxes.
- We strategically manage our product design, production and distribution to ensure safety, sustainability and quality.
- Our product developers use renewable, recycled and raw-recyclable materials.
- We regularly audit our partners to make sure they meet standards for safe working conditions and measure our carbon emissions in an effort to reduce them.
- From product design to end usage, we exercise chemical risk prevention. This means all our suppliers have committed to respecting our list of restricted substances. For example, we are working to eliminate PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) and acetophenone azine in our products.
- We take on pilot projects that relate to fair pay for our production workers.
- Since 2014, we've been committed to a partnership strategy with suppliers who share our vision and values. Together, we define transparent and sustainable objectives around safety and human rights subjects such as child labor, discrimination and working hours.
- Suppliers are subject to regular audits and assessments by our internal auditors or external parties.
We take the “team player” principle seriously. Our in-store teammates are passionate about sports and believe in sharing the value and safety standards of our products. Through their care, team players ensure our users are matched with the right sustainable products.
Since 2020, we've been using only sustainably-sourced cotton in partnership with the Better Cotton Initiative (BCI). We also are eliminating PFCs (perfluorinated compounds) in production.
We innovate to bring revolutionary products to as many users as possible. Simultaneously, we hold ourselves accountable for our environmental impact and make it a priority to minimize our footprint. We also promote personal safety and optimal working conditions.
In taking these steps, we foresee a greener future for all.
Read more on our sustainable development and our supply chain standards here.